Welcome to The Shack Forum! Forum posting rules can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3
And an explanation of how to navigate around the forum: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=63
New members are encouraged to post here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=75

Mack's Fathers Feeling of Pain

If you have questions about The Shack, especially in regard to issues that might trouble you about the story, then please post in here. Theological questions in regard to the movie/book's Christian themes should go here.

Moderator: Forum Admin

Sweetfly

Mack's Fathers Feeling of Pain

Post by Sweetfly » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:02 pm

This is my first post to anything like this, so I am not sure what I am supposed to do or write. But, I will just be direct and type from my heart. I have been holding issues in regarding a family member who has passed because I have been afraid of hurting them if words are spoken out loud. I know only God can tell my thoughts. I really enjoyed reading The Shack and seeing the movie. It did give me much joy and freedom from things in my life and a much better relationship with God. But I have been told, by many sources, that when we die there is no more pain or tears and that our Souls spend their time being overjoyed by being in the presence of their Father. However, in The Shack, it showed Mack's Father being in distress over his guilt of the way he treated Mack growing up. I am afraid of bringing things out into the open in fear of hurting someone that I cannot make amends to. I would really appreciate any feedback from my dilemma and thank you in advance for any response or prayers provided.

Doggie

Re: Mack's Fathers Feeling of Pain

Post by Doggie » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:26 am

I believe that there will be no more pain or sorrow. Mack's father was feeling excitement and joy about being able to share his love with Mack. I think he wasn't sure how Mack would accept him. He had repentance which I don't believe is the same as guilt.
Many people confuse the concept of joy and happiness.
I don't know what heaven is going to be like and I don't think any of is can comprehend it so there is no reason to try.

There are some people I hope that God allows me to make amends to when I get home.
It is no longer I who lives, but Christ who lives in me.

Courageous

Post by Courageous » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:58 pm

Hi Sweetfly. I read and reread your message and read it again. That was last night. This morning I read it a couple more times.
I'm not going to try and read between the lines but I would like to share a little part of my story ("We ARE our story." ~Wm Paul Young)
I asked Papa what I should say here if anything at all...and here I am typing. So, I guess I should do this.

I firmly believe, with all that is within me, and with all evidence gleaned over the years that my mother was probably regularly molested by her father. My mother is 78 yo now, just to give you an idea of the era she most likely suffered at his hands. The era is important because "back in the day" abuse and molestation was not spoken of. I call it the Violence of silence (A show many years ago that Oprah Winfrey aired).

Why do I call it the Violence of Silence? Because of the damage that is allowed to mire the individuals throughout their lives. And not just the victim is damaged but often loved ones around them suffer as well. Always Truth is good but often very difficult. Truth is powerful and can be THE tool used to begin on a journey of healing. My mom was so damaged that when directly asked if her father abused her she stuttered and coughed and responded, "I'll have to ask my sister." That is nearly creepy right there I say. I was the one that asked her so this I can report. Any therapist would conclude that she is so locked away in her silence that when confronted with the question...she simply disappeared sort of speak...she couldn't look back. To this day she cannot speak of it and I respect that.

Her father was a very well known and respected preacher in the community. He baptised me AND molested me. Unlike my mother and many from her generation, I got help. I broke the silence. It wasn't until I was in my thirties that I was told by a family member (her sister n law) that her father, my grandfather, was dismissed from that position for molesting a disable young girl. That has never been talked about again...didn't need to be really. I just wish my mother could have received the valuable, professional help that I did. She certainly was in a position to being a professional herself.

I don't have my book to review the chapter describing Mac's father's state. It's all about relationship right? I believe we are all connected and maybe somehow remain connected throughout eternity...I don't know. Somehow Mac's healing may have completed that connection between he and his dad...doesn't necessarily mean that his dad was suffering...I don't know. What I do know is that we need to learn to listen to the still, small voice inside. Trust Papa if you can trust at all.

I'm glad you found your way to the board and would love to get to know you better over time. I'm sure many of the Shack family here will have insightful and loving things to share.. (probably already have but I have been without internet connection while doing all this typing). <~~ See? Your entry was on my computer from my reading last night...AND I was able to do this typing, even without internet connection... kinda creepy huh?

~Cyndi

Sweetfly

Post by Sweetfly » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:25 pm

Thank you Doggie and Courageous for your responses. Understanding what Heaven is like is an impossible feat. I have been researching it for years. I have been torn between my upbringing as a Catholic and their views of how the souls of the deceased are in Heaven watching down over us as Guardian Angels and my Christian teachings from the Bible that there are no more tears and pain in Heaven and that our Souls are too busy rejoicing in being in the presence of our Lord to watch over those left behind. That is left for God and the Angels to do. And just to give a brief explanation of my situation, I was not there for someone that I should have been there for. Maybe if I can finally open up with my Counselor and bring everything out in the open, I can post more. I work daily at trying to understand how God could forgive me for what I did/didn't do. I know deep down that I am, but until I can find a way to forgive myself, I just can't feel His forgiveness in my heart. I am FAR from perfect, but consider myself to be a better person than I was in this situation and don't wish to cause anymore pain than I already have. Wow, putting this in writing, just kind of helped answer a question. If there is no more pain in Heaven, then how can I add pain.

I have to go to my Appt. now, but if anyone sees this post, I would really appreciate prayers for being able to open up and let everything out so I can start on a healing process. Thank you again.

Courageous

Post by Courageous » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:16 pm

*Praying*

Cathy
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Cathy » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:50 pm

Sweetfly, I'm praying for you to be able to open up and find healing.

Arus
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Arus » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:04 pm

Cyndi, thank you for opening yourself up like that, I'm sure it was painful.

Sweetfly, praying.
In the cracks of an earthquake, new flowers grow.

Cathy
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Cathy » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:20 pm

Yes Cyndi, you were brave.

Courageous

Post by Courageous » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:25 pm

Was that still, small voice... I have learned to hear Him...not that I always DO what He says to lol.

Doggie

Post by Doggie » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:35 am

Dear Sweetfly,
I have found that forgiving myself is one of the hardest things to do. One part of the book that helped me understand God's forgiveness was where Papa explains that they already know whether we are going to do something or not. Then also that he can use the bad for good. Whatever you didn't do God already had out taken care of.
I'm praying for your complete healing.
It is no longer I who lives, but Christ who lives in me.

Return to “"Yeah, but what about?!" ... The Theology of The Shack”