Welcome to The Shack Forum! Forum posting rules can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3
And an explanation of how to navigate around the forum: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=63
New members are encouraged to post here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=75

The Trinity and Saints

In this forum we talk about the themes of the Shack for followers of Jesus Christ. How do the themes of the book apply to our life with Papa God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit?

Moderator: Forum Admin

catholicwifeandmom
Barely not a Newbie
Barely not a Newbie

The Trinity and Saints

Post by catholicwifeandmom » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:43 pm

I'm about halfway through the book and I love it. What a beautiful way to look at our Lord. I know my prayers are richer for how the themes on the Trinity have been portrayed.

Two things....

ONE......Do you tend to have Jesus more to mind when you pray? Or the Father or the Holy Spirit?
----For me I tend to think of Jesus and "talk" to the Father but when I feel God I know it is the Holy Spirit in me. Does that make sense?

TWO....Saints and Angels and our Blessed Mother. As a Catholic my relationship with Jesus/God/Holy Spirit is enhanced by those He has given us to help us through His power - the Saints and Angels. I'm fine with the book being about the Trinity. We do need to have our relationship with God. I do miss for one, Mary who is totally human and perfect - she is the totally human example of what God is trying to show Mack. The Saints also give me hope in their imperfection as I am imperfect and yet when they have fallen, they get up with the Grace of God and go on. I do ask them to pray for me too. I wonder how the book would have been enhanced with that and with our Angels. I think through that would have been hard to portray.

Again, I do love reading about a new perspective on our Lord. I've been sharing it with my teenagers as a way to look at one another differently instead of always being about them as teenagers can be at times.

God bless!
Donna

Courageous

Re: The Trinity and Saints

Post by Courageous » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:46 pm

I'm essentially going to leave this one alone. I believe that the only "perfect" human was Jesus.

I also pray to no "man" (<~ generic speak for human correct?)

Doggie

Post by Doggie » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:12 pm

I personally think adding much more would have diluted the message of Papa's healing love.
It is no longer I who lives, but Christ who lives in me.

Papalovesyou
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Papalovesyou » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:41 pm

Donna,
I am going to gently suggest that whatever works in your spiritual journey to enrich you experience with the Trinity is wonderful. Those of Protestant extraction don't have the background of praying to saints, angels or Mary, and are likely to disagree on theological terms. I prefer to focus on the majors, rather than what which may separate us. [ I was blessed to attend Easter Mass with my wife this Sunday!]

What I think had the biggest impact of the Shack is that it portrays God the Father as loving, and makes certain statements about the Godhead that may run counter to the religion of origin for many. In as much as this impacts people relationship with Papa, Jesus and the Holy Spirit it moves the power already within us forward, and opens our eyes to the reality of what occurred 2000 years ago (Wonderful to remember during this Easter season!)

Blessings,
Papalovesyou
May we all come to know Papa as we are known... and see ourselves as He sees us!

Return to “Wade in the Water ... Applying the Themes of The Shack to Life”