Welcome to The Shack Forum! Forum posting rules can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3
And an explanation of how to navigate around the forum: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=63
New members are encouraged to post here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=75

The Sabbath

This is a forum to talk about general issues which do not pertain to The Shack, or its story.

Moderator: Forum Admin

Papalovesyou
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Re: The Sabbath

Post by Papalovesyou » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:01 pm

What does Holy mean? What impact does that have on relationship? With Papa? With others? Is keeping the Sabbath "holy" a commandment, or common sense from our Creator? Are laws from the OT relevant to us under a new covenant? Have we made what is God's love story a book of rules? Isn't that what the Pharisees did?

Concerned,
Papalovesyou
May we all come to know Papa as we are known... and see ourselves as He sees us!

Doggie

Post by Doggie » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:31 am

Holy is to be set apart for God. In my personal opinion, commandments are God's directions and teachings for us to have a healthy and contented life.
The Pharisees took those instructions and surrounded them with so many laws and traditions that the intent was abandoned. I find that many churches and denominations are doing the same thing today.
The law is impossible for us to obey ourselves. Only when we walk in His love by relationship can we enjoy the peace, joy, and community that we were created to have.
It is no longer I who lives, but Christ who lives in me.

RWC

Post by RWC » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:06 am

I love what Jesus said, that the Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath. Our all loving, all wise Father established the Sabbath for He knew this world has a system that puts us in the press and causes all kinds of unhealthy stress. Our bodies need rest. We find that man could not keep the Sabbath, under the law they still rescued and/or cared for animals; and did whatever they might justify. And the Law did exactly what God wanted it to do...to show mankind that we NEED HIM, God. In His Word, we find that God made us holy; He made us righteous. We are the righteousness of Christ. Jesus paid it all! As we confess God's Word, it transforms our mind and our life. The veil was rent way back at Calvary, and we can commune with our God, our Father at all times. We can pray without ceasing...anytime, all the time and anywhere and everywhere...we can commune with God. That is Good News. Hallelujah! That's the Gospel.
Yes, the OT is relevant. For the Word tells us that ALL scripture is given by the inspiration of God for teaching, for correction, etc... to know Him better. We can see the Father's heart, His likes and dislikes. Thank God...He is oh so wise... Hallelujah!!!

PastorCarl
Not a Newbie
Not a Newbie

Post by PastorCarl » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:38 pm

I couldn't agree more, RWC!!
"You saw me before I was born. Every day of my life was recorded in your book. Every moment was laid out before a single day had passed." Psalms 139:16

Papalovesyou
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Papalovesyou » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:07 pm

RWC,
Not to put to fine a point on it, but let's take a peek at the verse you alluded to:

2 Tim 3:16 "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness"

Now, unless Timothy had just stepped back from the future, the scripture mentioned here is Old Testament, NOT all of our modern Bible. And then we look at the prior verse for further enlightenment:

"and how from infancy you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus."

Now we get to the nub of my point. I'm going to add emphasis :

"and how from infancy you have known the Holy Scriptures (Old Testament), which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus." but that needs further clarification....

Let's slide over to Gal 2:16 KJV (Translation makes a difference here):

"Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified."

So the value of the OT is to point us, as does the New Testament, to accept the finished work of the faith OF Jesus, which is our salvation. A fine point to be sure, but it makes a universe of difference.

Papa is especially fond of you, and so am I,
Papalovesyou
May we all come to know Papa as we are known... and see ourselves as He sees us!

PastorCarl
Not a Newbie
Not a Newbie

Post by PastorCarl » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:55 pm

I have only one thing to add to this stimulating and enjoyable converstation (well, only one thing now). I totaly agree, Papalovesyou, that the scriptures Paul is talking about to Timothy is probably only the Old Testament, though Mark was written around 51AD and Matthew perhaps as early as 41AD, and they may have been read by Paul, but no one knows that for sure. Regardless, the Old Testament is most likely what Paul was referencing here.

But I also believe that the New Testament, most of which was written after 65AD must, in my opinion, be equally regarded as scripture that is fully inspired and God-breathed as well.
"You saw me before I was born. Every day of my life was recorded in your book. Every moment was laid out before a single day had passed." Psalms 139:16

Papalovesyou
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Papalovesyou » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:54 pm

Carl,
What does that mean? "Fully inspired and God-breathed"? In as much as it points to Jesus, again I agree. What fails is the interpretation, followed by man made organizations that use the Bible as a tool of manipulation and control. Further, as Jesus gave us the authority to bind and loose, why is it that we consider the "holy scriptures" a completed work? This certainly ignores the bind and loose authority, and IMHO, more importantly, the counsel of the Holy Spirit! Amen or oh me?

Blessings,
Papalovesyou

Doggie

Post by Doggie » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:54 pm

I would like interject here a true story about a couple pastors of my acquaintance.
A group of us were sitting around sharing ideas when a couple pastors in the group got into a debate about a very minor concept. It was starting to get bit heated. A friend and I looked at each other and grabbed hands and quickly prayed. They both stopped and almost in unison said " Guess we'll have to wait until we get to heaven to find out." I often think about this when I'm thinking about proving my point.
It is no longer I who lives, but Christ who lives in me.

teresaandrea

Post by teresaandrea » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:55 pm

I find prayer helps with most discussions, because it is Papa who will have the final answer for us.

Return to “General Discussion ... All Non-Shack Discussions”