Welcome to The Shack Forum! Forum posting rules can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3
And an explanation of how to navigate around the forum: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=63
New members are encouraged to post here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=75

Responsibility

This is a forum to talk about general issues which do not pertain to The Shack, or its story.

Moderator: Forum Admin

cpk2001

Responsibility

Post by cpk2001 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:58 pm

Hello. i do not remember the Chapter but there was a discussion about responsibility and expectations between Mac and Papa. What I struggle with is what is my responsibility and what is God's?
I want to be a good Trustee/Steward of everything God has entrusted to me but many times I wish He would just tell me what to do or who to go to for help. Any thoughts?

Doggie

Re: Responsibility

Post by Doggie » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:18 pm

I have found that if I ask and wait for that quiet voice, God does tell me what to do with what He has entrusted to my care.
The Bible gives a lot of guidelines of how to handle our possessions. A good place to start I personally think is maybe a Dave Ramsey course. While I don't agree with all his concepts for the most part his biblical concepts I found very sound.
One thing that many of us forget is also something that God has given us and we should be good stewards of, is our time.
It is no longer I who lives, but Christ who lives in me.

tr8theta

Post by tr8theta » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:10 pm

Hi...just finished the book today. The chapter you are referring to is #14 Verbs and Other Freedoms...go to page 205 where Mack asks Sarayu "Are you telling me that responsibility and expectation are just another form of rules we are no longer under?" Sarayu proceeds to clarify and then go to page 206 where Sarayu says" Then let's use your two words responsibility and expectations" ...and you can re-read from there.
In my opinion (and there are probably many that will agree, disagree or vary) GOD has no responsibility or expectations but simply LOVES in the total and purest way and has a purpose for us all and wants a relationship with all. You could say that we are responsible for and can be held accountable for our actions both good or bad or varying degrees of both in the eyes of the law, society, government, religion, our place of work, at home and in all the many other ways and places we can be "judged" and must act accordingly in this life here on Earth". God does not "expect" us to do or be anything other than to be LOVING and have loving relationships and know and accept HIS Love. Mankind is the one with all the expectations and "standards" by which we judge and place value or worthlessness on. That's what I got from the book and movie.

Doggie

Post by Doggie » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:56 pm

The difference between responsibility and responsible is one is a verb, therefore an action and alive, the other a noun, therefore concrete and confining.

The important thing is being in relationship with God so you respond with his love in all your activities.
It is no longer I who lives, but Christ who lives in me.

Return to “General Discussion ... All Non-Shack Discussions”