Welcome to The Shack Forum! Forum posting rules can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3
And an explanation of how to navigate around the forum: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=63
New members are encouraged to post here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=75

Spam - continued

General and Specific Announcements by the Moderator and/or Admin to all members and visitors.

Moderator: Forum Admin

Papalovesyou
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Spam - continued

Post by Papalovesyou » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:54 pm

Papalovesyou wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:58 pm
We have had an influx in Spam lately, and I have changed the registration process to force humans to answer information about the Shack, which should reduce/eliminate Spam bots from flooding our forums.

I will monitor for a few days to see if this has helped. Please be patient as we deal with this issue.
Update:
I have made additional forum changes, including enforcing the time a user needs to wait between post, which is now set for 7 minutes, in order to try to slow the spammers down. I also changed the registration process to force the user to answer questions regarding the Shack. We will see if this helps.

Your patience is appreciated as we deal with the spammers.

Blessings,
Papalovesyou
May we all come to know Papa as we are known... and see ourselves as He sees us!

Cathy
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Spam - continued

Post by Cathy » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:29 pm

Thanks, Mike.

Papalovesyou
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Papalovesyou » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:37 pm

Moderator Message:
I am happy we have addressed the spammers
- Papaloveyou

Update:
I have reduced the period to 6 minutes, as it seems the changes I made, including the enforcement of the "flood settings" have reduced the spam flow.

I will likely reduce that again, maybe holding steady at 4 or 5 minutes, when it appears spammers have moved on.
May we all come to know Papa as we are known... and see ourselves as He sees us!

Arus
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Arus » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:33 pm

You rock!!
In the cracks of an earthquake, new flowers grow.

Papalovesyou
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Papalovesyou » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:53 pm

Update 3-15-18:

The inter-post time has been set down to 4 minutes, which we hope will control the spam while striking a balance for our human users to post effectively. We apologize for the need to enforce the flood control, and will look for alternatives as they present themselves.

For new users we have instituted asking questions that Shack readers/movie goers should be able to answer. We hope this reduces spam-bot registration (as we had hoped with the previous method of having to move the answer to the correct side, it is not clear to us how an automated system could do this, thus suspect the registration MAY have been done by humans). To reduce the effectiveness of the spammers we were forced to enforce the flood control as described above.

Blessings,
[PLY]

Return to “Announcements”