Welcome to The Shack Forum! Forum posting rules can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3
And an explanation of how to navigate around the forum: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=63
New members are encouraged to post here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=75

Quotes and Notes from the Shack

This forum discusses various elements of the story of The Shack. For conversations on specific chapters, please visit the Chapter-by-Chapter forums. Theological questions and non-story posts about The Shack should be made elsewhere on the site.

Moderator: Forum Admin

Judy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Quotes and Notes from the Shack

Post by Judy » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:15 pm

What's your favorite message?

Sherrym25
Not a Newbie
Not a Newbie

Re: Quotes and Notes from the Shack

Post by Sherrym25 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:19 pm

Well my first one is in the reviews by James Ryle: where he says if God I so powerful, why doesn't he do something about all the pain and evil people do in the world. But this really has the answer in itself if you ask me because if God were to do that, then people would think, well if God does this for me than I can keep doing and nothing gained and nothing is learned by the things and actions people do
Sherry M

Sherrym25
Not a Newbie
Not a Newbie

Post by Sherrym25 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:28 pm

The second one on page 100 where God tells Mack the problem about how people grasp God, that he is Holy and Wholly that people take him as the best version of themselves, factoring in all the goodness they perceive and calling that God, but God says to Mack that it's not who he is that he isn't the best version of you, he is far more than that, above and beyond all you can ask or think.
Sherry M

Sherrym25
Not a Newbie
Not a Newbie

Post by Sherrym25 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:39 pm

the 3rd one on page 108 Sarayu tells Mack that relationships are not about power and one way to avoid the will to hold power over another is to limit oneself to serve. He says that we do this serving one minds who left to wander whether poor, young, old or others who have assumed power over them. Now I know some things need to be taken care of, but people who have power over others is like no freedom. EX. like me and my sister, she has always had power over me, like she was my mother instead of my sister, we don't get along, but I chose now to limit myself from her to avoid that, and hoping one day I will get the respect I deserve as her sister and not someone off the street. But it controls me because I can't sleep at night without dreaming of her and me fighting with each other
Sherry M

Sherrym25
Not a Newbie
Not a Newbie

Post by Sherrym25 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:52 pm

Now this one I really like, and for those of who don't realize this: Mack asked God if he ever gets angry at anyone. God said of course, doesn't anyone. God said there was a lot to be mad about with mess kids are in, doesn't like the choices they make, he tells Mack that his anger is actually an expression of love. and that he loves everyone whether he is angry at them or not. Now in the real world we here how people think God gets angry at us, but if that was the case then, he would for example ended the world like people have talked about before. Remember this God entrusted us to live on this earth, it belongs to him, and we are not doing such a great job of taking care of it, and since we are not doing that, then if he was so mad at us why has this rumor that the world is going to end happened yet. Because God is a lot stronger than we are actually.
Sherry M

Sherrym25
Not a Newbie
Not a Newbie

Post by Sherrym25 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:13 pm

here on page 125-126 Sarayu tells Mack, when we choose independence, over relationship we become a danger to one another. that we become objects to be manipulated or managed for our own happiness. That authority is merely an excuse for the strong ones to use against others to get what they want, and that this doesn't help us to keep people from fighting, or getting hurt, and then he says in a selfish world it's used to conflict great harm. Mack says don't you use it, and Sarayu says that we respect your choices and work with your system to free you from them and that creation has been taken down a different path from what was desired for us. Sarayu also said that in our world the value of an individual is constantly weighed against the survival of the system whether politics, economic, social, or religious or any system and many are sacrificed for the good and ongoing existence of the system/ like struggle for power, every prejudice, every war, and every abuse of relationship. That the will to power and independence has become so bad that it's considered normal now and it's not. Papa says it's the human Paradigm. I find this to be true, we are controlled by what we can and can.t do, but at the same time, instead of trying to find a solution to make things better we just fight to get what we want and it shouldn't be this way. isn't better to have peace, not war
Sherry M

Sherrym25
Not a Newbie
Not a Newbie

Post by Sherrym25 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:18 pm

There is more but for now I think I gave everyone enough reading for today anyway, so I guess I will stop here and hope that everyone likes what I posted because it really is related in the real world al these things that I mentioned that he wrote in this book. Funny thing is I wanted to read the other books he has mentioned in the back of book, because it makes me more curious now to how he carries out the other stories he has you know, and I can't wait to see the movie to.
Sherry M

Doggie

Post by Doggie » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:42 pm

I don't see power as the problem. Instead it is the use of power for control. The desire for control over others is part of our brokenness. I have found that true power is love. When we love, we serve. When we are serving we are willingly giving up control. Since we are choosing to submit, the person believing they have control over us, really has no power over us.
It is no longer I who lives, but Christ who lives in me.

Sue45

Re: Forum Specific Guidance - General Comments

Post by Sue45 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:58 pm

I am giving a reflection on June11th, Trinity Sunday, and just re-read The Shack. I am trying to find specific reference in the book as to the nature of the Trinity. Any suggestion other than reading it again? Thank you!

Doggie

Re: Forum Specific Guidance - General Comments

Post by Doggie » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:38 pm

There is no specific place that give a definition. I like were Mack asks which one is God and they all answer "I am."
Another interesting place is when Mack asks about who is the boss our who is in control and it is stated that with perfect love and unity there is no need for control. Also when Mack is talking to Jesus and Jesus refers to a discussion Mack had with Papa as a discussion between them. What one hears the all hear, what one knows they all know.
It is no longer I who lives, but Christ who lives in me.

Return to “General Comments About the Story of The Shack”