Welcome to The Shack Forum! Forum posting rules can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3
And an explanation of how to navigate around the forum: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=63
New members are encouraged to post here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=75

Quotes and Notes from the Shack

This forum discusses various elements of the story of The Shack. For conversations on specific chapters, please visit the Chapter-by-Chapter forums. Theological questions and non-story posts about The Shack should be made elsewhere on the site.

Moderator: Forum Admin

glassfern53

Re: Quotes and Notes from the Shack

Post by glassfern53 » Sun May 28, 2017 9:36 pm

I just watched the Shack and it's obvious the author has had an in-depth relationship with God. There are profound truths in the movie... I cried when Mack wouldn't choose which child to send to hell and said, "Take me, instead." I believe it became crystal clear for me about Jesus' dying on the cross. What it meant that he was a substitute.

Also, I wonder if "Papa" was depicted as female so Mack would find it easier to relate instead of a male figure? In any case the movie is brilliant. Thanks so much.

Arus
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Arus » Mon May 29, 2017 6:29 pm

I believe that that is exactly why the author made Papa female :)
In the cracks of an earthquake, new flowers grow.

Doggie

Post by Doggie » Mon May 29, 2017 9:16 pm

I the book it does talk about that.
It is no longer I who lives, but Christ who lives in me.

Judy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Judy » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:55 pm

I'm late getting this answer, but here's what I feel: The Father is on his throne in heaven watching all that we do. Jesus was flesh and blood for a time here on earth and has a first-hand perspective on what it's like to be human and feel pain and sorrow. The Holy Spirit is in as many places as there are humans. He is everywhere, seeing everything, knowing everyone. They all have the same desires for us to succeed and know the truth about Him.

tr8theta
Not a Newbie
Not a Newbie

Post by tr8theta » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:12 am

Sherrym25 wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:19 pm
Well my first one is in the reviews by James Ryle: where he says if God I so powerful, why doesn't he do something about all the pain and evil people do in the world. But this really has the answer in itself if you ask me because if God were to do that, then people would think, well if God does this for me than I can keep doing and nothing gained and nothing is learned by the things and actions people do
Hello Sherrym25 - my name is Tom - new member here at the forums.
Over the years I have heard many people ask the same question: Why does God "let" bad things happen"
or "let bad things happen to good people" or "why doesn't God intervene to avert tragedies"...like an airplane disaster where everyone on board is incinerated...or a little loving child dies of cancer. My belief and opinion is this: It is said that God made man in HIS image" To me that does NOT mean in the image of a human man or woman body but rather as Spiritual Beings (just as God is) with the gift of FREE WILL to chose as we so wish to. Just as God creates...man can also create...but also destroy. If some airline mechanic arrives on the job intoxicated and neglects to properly fix a crucial mechanical issue and THAT results in the aircraft faltering but then God intervenes and oversees it's safe landing (and this goes for EVERY tragedy, illness, accident etc..on Earth past, present and yet to occur) it would take away "accountability" for mankinds actions. If God only intervened sometimes to the great joy of some but did not intervene to the great despair of others...where is the JUST and FAIRNESS in that? God would have to intervene every single time in all instances to avert the bad outcomes and if we knew HE would do so without consequence for anyone...then it would create a free for all where anyone can do whatever he or she darn well pleases with no regard for others or the impact their actions would have...because it would all be on God to "come to the rescue"

On the other hand one may ask well what about "natural" catastrophes like a tsunami resulting from an earthquake whereby many tens of thousands of people are lost? Certainly not any one person's fault or act of negligence and yet God still does not intervene. I sure don't claim to have the answer for that one but no one truly knows what Gods reasons are or grand plan or supreme purpose that may justify such an event taking place without HIS divine intervention. Gods LOVE must still be a factor in such an event even if we don't see how. Part of life on Earth and the physical laws that govern it is: randomness - many things happen than simply cannot be explained...whereas other things happen that can be explained, both having impact in some way shape or form, good or bad. There is so much motion going everywhere on the planet that things are just bound to happen...like where you have millions of cars traveling at various speeds on numerous highways...there WILL be automobile collisions with injuries or even death.
That's just the way it is.

Courageous

Post by Courageous » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:14 am

Death, dying, sickness. In the Garden of Eden all was perfect...but what did we do? We chose the ONE thing God warned us against.

I know that sounds overly simplistic...but that is how I see why we experience death, dying, destruction and evil.

Cathy

Post by Cathy » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:55 am

I agree with you, Courageous.

Arus
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Arus » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:10 pm

Yups, me too!
In the cracks of an earthquake, new flowers grow.

Doggie

Post by Doggie » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:52 pm

When sin entered the world it didn't just effect people, it effected the whole world.
There is also the judging thing going on here. Who defines what a tragedy is? I often think of Arus's signature line. While the earthquake might have ripped the roots of a tree, causing its demise, it also open a place for a flower to grow.

In my own life I have experienced many "tragedies" but each one has made way for other things. I'm learning to trust Papa to be in control. I try to live loved even when I'm screaming and crying in pain. I've learned I can crawl into his lap and be comforted and soothed even when the pain level his a 15 on the 1-10 scale.
It is no longer I who lives, but Christ who lives in me.

Judy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Judy » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:34 pm

God bless you, Sweet Doggie.

Return to “General Comments About the Story of The Shack”