Welcome to The Shack Forum! Forum posting rules can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3
And an explanation of how to navigate around the forum: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=63
New members are encouraged to post here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=75

Mack' s family.... an allegory

This forum discusses various elements of the story of The Shack. For conversations on specific chapters, please visit the Chapter-by-Chapter forums. Theological questions and non-story posts about The Shack should be made elsewhere on the site.

Moderator: Forum Admin

Doggie

Mack' s family.... an allegory

Post by Doggie » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:46 pm

Since this book a basic allegory of God's healing in one's life I decided to look into possible different parts as allegories with meanings me.

When looking at Mack's family it was easy for me to see what his children were but Nan took more thought.

When we first start looking at God we hope for truth. Nan is Mack's hope. She is there first and she keeps him going. Hope does that for me.

Then we receive and accept salvation. It is firm in our heart. This is Josh, he is there, he doesn't withdraw. There are tough times with him but he is pretty stable. I think the fight to save Josh from the capsized boat might have been a time of wrestling with his belief system.

Faith can be fragile. Many times we are told that with true faith we will get what we want. Katie represents faith. Katie believes she is at fault for Missy's death. If she had been better then the bad wouldn't have happened. Sometimes when things get bad we start to doubt. We blame our lack of faith. The faith we had seems to leave us, much like Katie withdrew from the family. When we realize that it isn't our lack of faith that caused our problem we find the peace represented by Katie falling asleep beside Mack.

Then comes Missy. Missy is joy. At first Mack's joy is right with him. A lot of it depends on what is happening in his life. He is grateful for what God has given him. A disaster steals his joy and kills it. It is only after seeking God and recognizing God's total love was he able to see and know that his joy is with God. Our joy no longer depends on circumstances, it is safe with God.

Please share with me your ideas about how different parts of the story spoke to you about your growing relationship with Papa.
It is no longer I who lives, but Christ who lives in me.

Cathy

Re: Mack' s family.... an allegory

Post by Cathy » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:59 pm

Colleen, thanks for posting that. It was really interesting. I don't have anything to add though.

Jewelia
Not a Newbie
Not a Newbie

Post by Jewelia » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:47 am

Doggie wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:46 pm
Please share with me your ideas about how different parts of the story spoke to you about your growing relationship with Papa.
Colleen, I really enjoyed reading your post. I appreciate the allegorical representations you made. Your question is going to take some thought. I may be back with some of my own. ;)

Judy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Judy » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:18 pm

One part that really spoke to me was the lengths that Papa will go to in order to hug us. He will meet us in the darkest alley or deepest pit or scariest lion's den.

Doggie

Post by Doggie » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:08 pm

And He stays with us through it all too.
It is no longer I who lives, but Christ who lives in me.

Return to “General Comments About the Story of The Shack”