Welcome to The Shack Forum! Forum posting rules can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3
And an explanation of how to navigate around the forum: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=63
New members are encouraged to post here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=75

BaptIsm

If you have questions about The Shack, especially in regard to issues that might trouble you about the story, then please post in here. Theological questions in regard to the movie/book's Christian themes should go here.

Moderator: Forum Admin

cfsncnh

BaptIsm

Post by cfsncnh » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:45 pm

Given the sentiment in the book regarding "formal" religious/church structure, how is the matter of Baptism resolved. Is it a requirement for heaven or another religious "rule"?

Doggie

Re: BaptIsm

Post by Doggie » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:36 am

The thief on the cross wasn't baptised. I personally believe that baptism in an outward confession of an inward conviction. In the bible there are examples of the disciples baptizing, however there are other times it isn't mentioned. The part in Matthew 28 about baptizing in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit is only found in later copies of the Greek text so it is questionable as to it actually being said by Jesus. Jesus talks about loving God and relationship. The only place Jesus said anything about baptism is in Matthew 28 that is questionable. I have experienced where a church makes is a rule and I have seen it turn people away from the church. I know this doesn't give a direct answer to your question. My belief is that there no hard evidence that it is necessary but there evidence is was done.
It is no longer I who lives, but Christ who lives in me.

Jewelia
Not a Newbie
Not a Newbie

Post by Jewelia » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:30 am

It's an interesting question and one I can address from personal experience. I was born 3 months premature and was at death's door. Since my mother was Catholic, they did a quicky baptism soon after birth. Then when I was 6 yrs. old, they did another to make it more official...I guess.
Then when I was 17, wanting to join a very dogmatic religion, i was baptized as this was the only way I could become a member.
Then when I was 25, 3 yrs. after accepting Jesus as Lord and Savior, I was baptized into the Jordan River while visiting the Holy Land.
Which baptism meant the most to me...the last one because I understood it to mean that I buried religion, rules, and its hold on me, to be resurrected into a new life in Jesus Christ.
However, I truly believe when Jesus told the thief on the cross that he would be in paradise (heaven) with Him (Jesus), that indicates that baptism wasn't necessary for entry into heaven. What is necessary...our hearts.

Arus
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Arus » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:55 pm

Jewelia wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:30 am
Which baptism meant the most to me...the last one because I understood it to mean that I buried religion, rules, and its hold on me, to be resurrected into a new life in Jesus Christ.
That makes the most sense!
In the cracks of an earthquake, new flowers grow.

Jewelia
Not a Newbie
Not a Newbie

Post by Jewelia » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:24 am

Thanks Peni.

catholicwifeandmom
Barely not a Newbie
Barely not a Newbie

Post by catholicwifeandmom » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:29 pm

Baptism was instituted by Jesus. So yes it is something that you could say is "required". We must also remember that Jesus, is God and God is omnipotent. And so we also know that there can be a baptism by blood or baptism by desire. Look at the Thief! That is a baptism by desire and Jesus acknowledges it.

Papalovesyou
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Papalovesyou » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:46 pm

CWM,
I admire your passion. When you say baptism was instituted by Jesus, can you expand on that a little? I think baptism predates Jesus here on earth. Further, John (the Baptist) said he baptized with water but Jesus would baptize with fire (the Holy Spirit). So do we need water baptism?

Again, if a ritual or rite brings comfort, AND draws one closer to Jesus, I'm all for it! I think the danger can be we perform empty ritual, and forget what has already been accomplished through/by the Trinity. Amen or oh me?

Blessings,
Papalovesyou
May we all come to know Papa as we are known... and see ourselves as He sees us!

Doggie

Post by Doggie » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:14 pm

From my understanding baptism was a act of repentance. It had been used in many cultures. I believe that the Israelites started using it while in captivity in Babylon when the temple had been destroyed.
It is no longer I who lives, but Christ who lives in me.

Judy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Judy » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:05 pm

When I was 8 years old I told my parents that I wanted to be baptized in our Christian church where my parents and grandparents were members. Mom thought I was too young and asked the preacher to talk to me. He asked why I wanted it and my answer was "Because Jesus said to do it." It's that simple for me.

I was so short in the baptismal that my nose was under water. I swam out to the preacher and he held me up while he spoke.

Courageous

Post by Courageous » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:16 pm

Judy wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:05 pm
When I was 8 years old I told my parents that I wanted to be baptized in our Christian church where my parents and grandparents were members. Mom thought I was too young and asked the preacher to talk to me. He asked why I wanted it and my answer was "Because Jesus said to do it." It's that simple for me.

I was so short in the baptismal that my nose was under water. I swam out to the preacher and he held me up while he spoke.
Awww... I just love that visual. The desire of a child to please Papa. My Heart just grew a bit.

Return to “"Yeah, but what about?!" ... The Theology of The Shack”