Welcome to The Shack Forum! Forum posting rules can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3
And an explanation of how to navigate around the forum: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=63
New members are encouraged to post here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=75

Appealing to Authority

If you have questions about The Shack, especially in regard to issues that might trouble you about the story, then please post in here. Theological questions in regard to the movie/book's Christian themes should go here.

Moderator: Forum Admin

oakmanii

Appealing to Authority

Post by oakmanii » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:18 pm

Im distressed by someone in my church who believes the lies about what The Shack supposedly teaches, without bothering to read the book or watch the movie.

His reply was that 'Some are teachers, and teachers like so-and-so say it is full of heresy so I don't need to watch it."

I think this thinking is reflected in The Shack, pages 67-68. The idea is that Christians today want God to be bound to a book, that only proper intellectuals can interpret for the rest of us.

Now for others who might encounter this appeal to authority, I would remind you that Jesus said no one should be called a teacher, because we have one Teacher, God in heaven. Paul also said that Christians should not say "I follow this teacher or that teacher" And lastly, the spiritual man is judged by no one.

Also, the heroes of the faith, Augustine, Luther, and Calvin ALL went against the professional teachers of their day. Of course, they might say that you or Paul Young is not of that standing, but I would point out that Moses desired All to prophesy and that in the last days young men and women would prophesy, and prophecy is pointing out error in the church, that is what ALL believers should be able to do in the power of the Spirit.

If the Bible really is our authority, then we should compare what The Shack says with the Bible, not with what so-and-so says. We do not want to put so-and-so on the same authority level of Scripture.

Lastly, Jesus said to the Pharisees in John 5:39 "You search the Scriptures, because you think you will find eternal life in them. The Scriptures tell about me, but you refuse to come to me for eternal life. (CEV)

I have come to understand that the Word of God is Jesus (Revelation 19:13), and not the Bible.

Hillsage
Barely not a Newbie
Barely not a Newbie

Re: Appealing to Authority

Post by Hillsage » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:04 pm

What you are experiencing in the church is certainly not something new. And sometimes, the most one can do in situations like this is let them continue to 'sit in darkness' and let your light shine, even as was prophesied over John the Baptist.

LUK 1:79 to give light to those who sit in darkness and in the shadow of death, to guide our feet into the way of peace."

I would just encourage you to make sure that you're feet are walking in the peace that passes their understanding. ;)
Condemnation often disappears with understanding.

Papalovesyou
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Papalovesyou » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:38 pm

Just to be clear, nearly all the objections to The Shack are from those that set up a strawman, or take the book/movie out of context. In that sense if you are looking for heresy or something un-Biblical, you will find it, and you will spread your "truth" far and wide.

But the truth is this book was written by three men with almost 90 years of ministry (including seminary) between them. While very few actual Bible verses are actually quoted, the Love of the Trinity shown in the Shack draws from many Biblical principles, unwound from Pharisaical lens.

It is this that scares those currently wanted to control their congregants though fear of a schizophrenic G_d.

Blessings,
Papalovesyou
May we all come to know Papa as we are known... and see ourselves as He sees us!

Courageous

Post by Courageous » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:31 pm

I have let so much of that go. Started with my mom clinging to an angry punishing god and feeling it dangerous and misleading to teach otherwise. The Shack is a novel... not a teaching tool. It is experiential. Nothing will change what one takes away from the story...but God may use it in great ways. That is my simple prayer for all that experience the story.

catholicwifeandmom
Barely not a Newbie
Barely not a Newbie

Post by catholicwifeandmom » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:33 pm

If the Shack helps you in your faith journey that is great! In the end we are all responsible for learning the Faith. We can share it in many ways but we need to grow in it ourselves. As a Catholic, I learned years ago about the pitfalls of our ancestors in the OT. They had Prophets and Judges and were great for awhile but didn't pass on the faith to their children and in a generation or two - the people fell away except for a few.

Know your Faith. Pray. And be sure - as the first teacher of your children...pass it on. For the rest, you can be the best example you can be.

As St. Francis said - preach the Gospel always...and sometimes use words.

Courageous

Post by Courageous » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:00 pm

I agree cwm... like it or not .. we, as mom or dad, ARE god to our children. Of course God is everywhere in there .. but you know what I mean.

oakmanii

Post by oakmanii » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:32 am

Thanks for all of the thoughts.
I was especially struck by the tag line
"Condemnation often disappears with understanding."
I wish I understood others better.

Judy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Judy » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:26 pm

One of Satan's favorite tools is fear. And he uses it frequently to bind us every way he can. Recognize this fear in others and speak softly to them. Love them. Teach them.

Doggie

Post by Doggie » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:26 pm

Very well said Judy. You really are wise in the Lord.
It is no longer I who lives, but Christ who lives in me.

Judy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Hurricane watch

Post by Judy » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:57 pm

Anyone else thinking about West Side Story this morning? Maria.....Puerto Rico......my heart's devotion....let it sink back in the ocean.

Return to “"Yeah, but what about?!" ... The Theology of The Shack”