Welcome to The Shack Forum! Forum posting rules can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3
And an explanation of how to navigate around the forum: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=63
New members are encouraged to post here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=75

Forgiveness

In this forum we talk about the themes of the Shack for followers of Jesus Christ. How do the themes of the book apply to our life with Papa God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit?

Moderator: Forum Admin

Arus
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Forgiveness

Post by Arus » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:22 pm

For me, forgiveness was the most important theme of The Shack. I was a very insecure youngster. I think, mainly, because of my mother's words to me when I was about 15. The fact that I still remember them so clearly, tells me that they had a great impact on me. Her words were "you have no looks my girl, so work on your personality".

I do not believe that she said that to hurt me. Maybe it was even a joke, who knows! But to a young girl of my age, it stuck. And, because those words were imprinted in my brain, any man who paid me any attention, was a blessing - or so I thought!

I'll shorten this story - I got pregnant while still at school, told the "father", and was beaten to the extent that I not only lost the baby, but also lost all chances of every getting pregnant again. Moving along a few years, chose another "bad boy". Ended up being held down by him and gang-raped by quite a few of his friends, while they were all high on drugs.

Fast track another few years. I spent most of my adult years hating the boy who had robbed me of being a mother. And people, I mean a real, strong hatred. It consumed my very life. Then one day, many, many years later, I parked at a shop, and got out of my car. Next to me, another car stopped, and that "boy", now a man and a father to 2, was standing right in front of me. We stood facing each other, and I started shaking like a leaf. But then I noticed that he was shaking too, and I saw something in his face. I can't tell you what it was I saw, but, if this makes any sense, my heart felt it.

I hugged that man so hard that I hurt my arms! He cried so much that my blouse I was wearing was soaking wet. And just like that, my hatred was gone. He was just a boy when it happened, and it turns out that it haunted him his entire life too.

As if that wasn't enough, 3 days later I ran into the bad boy whose friends had gang-raped me. Clean and sober now, and very ashamed. We also cleaned the slate.

And then, and only then, did I let God into my life.

Forgiveness.
In the cracks of an earthquake, new flowers grow.

Cathy

Re: Forgiveness

Post by Cathy » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:24 pm

Peni, thank you for sharing that. It made me cry. I'm sorry you went through so much but it was great that you were able to forgive. I'm glad that both the men seemed upset about what they'd done to you. That was enough to make it possible for you to forgive them at that moment.

Jewelia
Not a Newbie
Not a Newbie

Post by Jewelia » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:05 am

Peni, I too want to thank you for sharing. I was also brought to tears reading your story. I am so sorry for what your mother said to you. At 15 years of age, girls are more vulnerable and sensitive about anything to do with their looks, so I can fully understand how her words impacted you.

I am also so very sorry for the losses you suffered.I can see how you probably related to Mack and his great sadness. Life can be so cruel and unfair. It's like Wisdom told Mack in the movie..."If you want a pain free life, there isn't one."

Forgiveness is the greatest gift we can give to another. Sadly, sometimes that gift is not received in like manner, but in your instance, it was, and I am so glad for it. The fact that you could then give him a hug...okay, I need to stop and grab a tissue - and then to meet up with the boy, cleaning the slate...(more tears), WOW!! You are one very special person.

I am so glad that Papa brought those people back into your life so that you could be emotionally free and then spiritually free to let Papa God into your life. Good is so good.

(((((((((Peni))))))) huggles

Arus
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Arus » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:11 am

Awww, sorry ladies, I didn't mean to make you cry! I was just explaining how important forgiveness is - not for the other person (although that is also important) but for yourself.

Cathy

Post by Cathy » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:19 pm

Making us cry is okay! Sometimes things making us cry is special because it means we've connected with someone.

Arus
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Arus » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:31 pm

That's true as well, thanks Cathy :)

Courageous

Post by Courageous » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:26 pm

So what's wrong with me that I immediately, for a moment, was thankful that Papa would make a way for you to let go of your anger and hate which made way and room for His Love to flood in and replace all that... AND, I even prayed for a moment that Papa used that moment to break THEIR hearts and hopefully bring them to their knees....
but quickly I wanted to be the one to knock them to their knees. No one should EVER be allowed to carry on their merry miserable way after having done such things to another human.

All of them should be in jail

Arus
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Arus » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:02 pm

That way I see it Cyndi, is that the boy who caused me to loose my baby, was just that - a boy. A boy whose father used to knock him senseless for any wrongdoing. I think he was just doing what he learned at home. As I said, he has since gone on to become an awesome husband, and an incredibly good father. That wouldn't have happened if he had gone to jail.

The other young man was experimenting with drugs, which he soon stopped. Again, I don't think that would have happened had he gone to jail.

Everything happens for a reason, I firmly believe that.

Jewelia
Not a Newbie
Not a Newbie

Post by Jewelia » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:05 am

Courageous wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:26 pm
So what's wrong with me that I immediately, for a moment, was thankful that Papa would make a way for you to let go of your anger and hate which made way and room for His Love to flood in and replace all that... AND, I even prayed for a moment that Papa used that moment to break THEIR hearts and hopefully bring them to their knees....
but quickly I wanted to be the one to knock them to their knees. No one should EVER be allowed to carry on their merry miserable way after having done such things to another human.
Cyndi, I so loved what you wrote; especially the part of wanting to personally knock them down to their knees. And Peni, my tears were tears of joy. Joy that Papa God loved you so much as to orchestrate those meetings, your heart and theirs, to bring about a healing and freedom so that there was nowroom for Papa to enter at your invitation. Now, if that is not something worth crying about, I don't know what is. :)

Arus
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Arus » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:31 am

Hahaha, very well said Jules!

Return to “Wade in the Water ... Applying the Themes of The Shack to Life”