Welcome to The Shack Forum! Forum posting rules can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3
And an explanation of how to navigate around the forum: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=63
New members are encouraged to post here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=75

Your Questions Here - FAQ answers needed

This forum answers some of the most common questions that get asked here.

Moderator: Forum Admin

Jewelia
Not a Newbie
Not a Newbie

Re: Your Questions Here - FAQ answers needed

Post by Jewelia » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:57 am

PastorCarl wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:08 am
While the actor in the film is Graham Green who is Native American, the book makes no distiction as to whether Papa, the male Papa, is of any particular nationality.
I loved Graham Green's portrayal of Papa. Any thoughts Carl on why you think they chose a Native American to play the male Papa? Do you think so that as many cultures were represented with a cast of few. Female Papa - African American Jesus - Middle Eastern Sarayu - Asian (Japanese) Male Papa - Native American...this kind of shoots down traditional thinking that God or any of the trinity (for that fact) is a white Gandalf type of character.

PastorCarl
Not a Newbie
Not a Newbie

Post by PastorCarl » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:14 am

I honestly don't know why the chose Graham Green other than your suggestion that perhaps they wanted to get in as many races representing the Trinity as possible. But also Graham Green is a very talented actor. Another thought crossed my mind just now. Remember Mack telling Missy about the Indian princess who saved her tribe from a terrible plague? The princess was the daughter of, of course, an indian chief. So perhaps in the film they wanted Missy as representative of the princess and Graham Green being Papa, the Great Chief, as the true Father. Just a thought.
"You saw me before I was born. Every day of my life was recorded in your book. Every moment was laid out before a single day had passed." Psalms 139:16

Jewelia
Not a Newbie
Not a Newbie

Post by Jewelia » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:19 am

I loved the way that Graham Green portrayed Papa. So Carl, given that Graham is Native American, why do you think this is? I think it is to show that God or the Trinity for that fact, are not a white Gandalf stereotypical characters. If you think about the Godhead depicted in the movie...Female Papa is African American Male Papa is Native American Jesus is Middle Eastern and Sarayu is Asian Japanese) A melting pot of awesomeness!

Anybody...any thoughts?

Jewelia
Not a Newbie
Not a Newbie

Post by Jewelia » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:45 am

PastorCarl wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:14 am
Another thought crossed my mind just now. Remember Mack telling Missy about the Indian princess who saved her tribe from a terrible plague? The princess was the daughter of, of course, an indian chief. So perhaps in the film they wanted Missy as representative of the princess and Graham Green being Papa, the Great Chief, as the true Father. Just a thought.
Oh my gosh Carl, this response sent chills down my spine. I truly believe that you hit the nail on the head. ( A little bit of Sarayu inspiration...perhaps). That makes so much sense. Thank you. :)

PastorCarl
Not a Newbie
Not a Newbie

Post by PastorCarl » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:39 pm

Jewelia wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:45 am
PastorCarl wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:14 am
Another thought crossed my mind just now. Remember Mack telling Missy about the Indian princess who saved her tribe from a terrible plague? The princess was the daughter of, of course, an indian chief. So perhaps in the film they wanted Missy as representative of the princess and Graham Green being Papa, the Great Chief, as the true Father. Just a thought.
Oh my gosh Carl, this response sent chills down my spine. I truly believe that you hit the nail on the head. ( A little bit of Sarayu inspiration...perhaps). That makes so much sense. Thank you. :)
:D
"You saw me before I was born. Every day of my life was recorded in your book. Every moment was laid out before a single day had passed." Psalms 139:16

Return to “Here Come Da Judge (Frequently Asked Questions about The Shack)”