Welcome to The Shack Forum! Forum posting rules can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3
And an explanation of how to navigate around the forum: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=63
New members are encouraged to post here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=75

Members saying Hello

If you are a new member, and plan on sticking around here for a while, introduce yourself! Tell us a bit about yourself! (We get LOTS of new people, so please understand if no one replies right away.)
Arus
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Re: Members saying Hello

Post by Arus » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:42 pm

Hi there. I'm sorry, I don't, but maybe another member does.
In the cracks of an earthquake, new flowers grow.

Courageous

Post by Courageous » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:58 pm

nanalibrariana wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:31 pm
Hello!
I’m looking for the list of 57 points from reading The Shack written by an atheist. Wm Paul Young reads it in one of the YouTube videos he does with C. Baxter Kruger, "The Shack Revisited." Does anyone have a link to that?
Hi nana! Nice to meet you... could this be it ?
http://timtimmons.com/respon-to-the-sha ... eliever-2/

teresaandrea

Post by teresaandrea » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:51 am

I like the points, would be a very good discussion tool..

Marianne

Post by Marianne » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:57 pm

I just finished reading "The Shack" I had heard that it was based on a fictional Jesus and as I haven't seen the movie, I don't know what Hollywood has done to it. But the book was a good read. If you know Jesus as Lord and Savior and you have knowledge of the Word it is easily discerning where the facts get a little skewed. It is hard to accept God as a woman figure, however my belief is that God is a spirit and therefore non-sexual. So I assume if He were to show Himself, He could choose whichever forum suited Him. However; the bible refers to God as a "FATHER" so therefore it does seem a stretch to picture Him as a woman at anytime. As with any word penned by man, it is a good idea to use your own common sense in deciding what is probable. I enjoyed the book, and would recommend it to someone who is not a "Babe in Christ". I am curious how it is depicted in the movie form. But it has been my experience that Hollywood does not always do a good job of executing the ideals set forth by any written word. The book is ALWAYS far better. That is my opinion.

Marianne

Post by Marianne » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:00 pm

There is one thing I do not like and that is referring to God as "Papa" but I have heard several people from the south refer to Him as such. It sounds degrading to me.

Doggie

Post by Doggie » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:27 pm

Welcome Marianne,
I just want to comment on the "facts" you say are skewed.
1. As you said God is spirit and can appear any way. Mack had grown up with an abusive judgemental father. God appeared to him in a form he could accept love from.
2. Calling God Papa. Jesus tells us to cry to Abba. Abba is an endearment, the equivalent of daddy. God wants our relationship with him to be that close.
3. To father or husband means to tend and care for. Father has also been used to mean being forth or create.
It is no longer I who lives, but Christ who lives in me.

Arus
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Arus » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:44 am

Hi Marianne, welcome to the forum :) I'm so glad you enjoyed the book! I haven't seen the movie either, because it hasn't come out over here yet. That being said, the reports so far have been very favorable.

I know that quite a few people were hesitant about God being portrayed as a woman, but, as Doggie said, because Mackenzie had bad feelings towards his own father, he was more open to a woman.

When I talk to God, I always refer to Him as Daddy :)

Ella

Post by Ella » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:23 pm

Hi, everyone! I just finished reading the Shack over the weekend. For the most part, I loved the book! The writer is absolutely brilliant! However, there are a couple of points I would like to discuss.
1.Toward the end of the chapter In The Belly of The Beast, Jesus seems to indicate that it is not important to be a Christian "I have no desire to make them Christian" (almost as if the word "Christian" is a bad word). I know that Jesus was not a Christian, when he walked the earth he was a Jew. But, He was and is The Christ, and as His followers, we are known as Christians. I understand that Christians can and do come from all walks of life including other faiths. I know that there are many persons who refer to themselves as Christian, but they have no idea what that means and they give the rest of us a bad reputation.To me, the title Christian means having a close personal relationship with Jesus.
Please discuss this concern with me. I will post my other points at a later time.

Doggie

Post by Doggie » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:16 pm

Hello Elle, welcome.
Jesus had just finished telling Mack that religion was a man made institution. After telling Mask that he didn't want to make them Christians he did say he wanted to be with them in relationship.

Since this is an allegory of healing and young Mack had been injured by an over dogmatic Christian father it is easier to see it as a relationship than a religion. Many of us have been injured by the institution of a "Christian" church. When read in context the statement basically says a relationship with us is what Jesus desires.
It is no longer I who lives, but Christ who lives in me.

Arus
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Arus » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:20 am

Hi Elle, welcome to the forum! I'm so glad you enjoyed the book :)

I personally do not like the word "christian", as most, if not all "christians" I have met are about as far from Christ as can be! I am not a christian, I am a believer.

Return to “Guess Who's Coming to Dinner (New Members)”