Author Topic: About me  (Read 49763 times)

wandaw

Re: About me
« Reply #75 on: December 19, 2008, 10:49:54 PM »
Shelly,
   I am an "old lady" but I do remember being your age way back in the old days!!  I also have great nieces that are your age that I am really close to as well as their mothers who are my nieces and like my children since I do not have any of my own.  I also am a registered nurse who retired from school nursing a couple of years ago.  I mostly worked with young elementary age students but was around older ones as well.  My younger sister was a Jr. High counselor for 35 years.  She worked with students in grades 7 and 8, another hard time of life growing up.  In fact all of these different stages of life that we live through are quite difficult at times.
   It has been my experience that none of us come from perfect homes with perfect parents, perfect friends, etc., BUT it is so very important to have stable and sound grounding from somewhere.  I was lucky and priviledged to have an early start in my local church where I learned to have a personal relationship with God the Father, Jesus the Son and the Holy Spirit.  This relationship grows as we grow older by studying His Word, the Bible, learning to pray and surround ourselves with friends who also are believers and His followers.  This life style has kept me settled and secure throughout my life which has been full of hurts, strife, problems and all sorts of things that we all experience.  Having this "grounding with God" helps us through all this other "stuff".  I pray first of all that you have this personal relationship and assurance that you are His child and that He will never leave you or forsake you and that He loves you and is your personal Savior and Lord.  He gives you everything you need right now in this life and promises you life eternal after your physical life has ended.  Please talk to someone you trust about all these things that you are struggling with and know that you are loved and that your life can be much better and more peaceful.  Every stage of our life can be difficult but also filled with blessings and good memories that you will never forget...even when you are old!!
   Find someone to talk to, keep praying and have a very Merry Christmas.  Keep in touch with us too!
   Wandaw

Offline Chris T

• Old Timer
« Reply #76 on: December 20, 2008, 11:05:05 PM »
Hey Shelly,

Musically I am all over the place - but I really like Megadeth for it's honest raw sound and truth, Frank Zappa for his multi layered poly rhythmic compositions - sort of an earthy Mozart...amongst others

In Fiction - will look this up on Itunes right now - a song you would recommend for a newbie like moi ?  ;)

Merry Christmas Shelly!

chris

jen1970

« Reply #77 on: December 20, 2008, 11:46:54 PM »
SHELLY!

Where the heck have I been!?!?!? GRRR I'm still not getting notifications on this thread, even though I've done it over and over!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SWEETCHEEKS! How are you??

Oh man! I've missed you a few times! I seem to want to echo Chris' posts. You gotta take this frustration to Papa gorgeous.  He is the one answer for you.  The whole masking thing, it's what we do, its a coping mechanism, and I'm willing to bet every human being on the face of this earth does it.  So don't feel like you are a freak! LOL, cos then I'm one too! (not a strong arguement there Jen ;) ).

Sometimes just dealing with 'stuff' and living 'life' gets you the confidence and ability to put that mask down.  Many many adults do this till the day they die, it must be in our genes or sommit. But if you want a permanent solution to this my lovely... It's Papa all the way.

Some fav Oz music for me: Alex Lloyd, Powderfinger, Silverchair, Wolfmother, Eskimo Joe

I'm glad its  school holidays for you now sweetcheeks. Get a decent break in from that girl who troubles you so.

I'm a bit blah about xmas this year, normally i'm so into it, I dunno... weird.  My girls are excited.

Thinking of you Shelly, and I apologise for being so absent I'm just gonna have to keep tabs myself on this thread!

big kiss
jen x

wandaw

« Reply #78 on: December 22, 2008, 01:25:37 PM »
Shelley, Chris T, Chookalicious and all you "others" whose music makes me feel even older than I am!!  Do any of you remember Bing Crosby and "White Christmas" or Perry Como's "Little Drummer Boy" or Elvis Presley's "I'll Have a Blue Christmas Without You"???  Don't make me go on or I will really date myself!!  Anyone like southern gospel music like songs by the Gaithers??  How about Faith Hill's new Christmas song about Mary and Joseph as parents of Jesus?  I can't remember the name but have heard it on the RADIO a couple of times, (that is a big box with knobs that you turn on and off and change stations with and sound comes out speakers)!!
Wandaw

Lenthowel

« Reply #79 on: December 22, 2008, 05:50:38 PM »
Shelley, Chris T, Chookalicious and all you "others" whose music makes me feel even older than I am!!  Do any of you remember Bing Crosby and "White Christmas" or Perry Como's "Little Drummer Boy" or Elvis Presley's "I'll Have a Blue Christmas Without You"???  Don't make me go on or I will really date myself!!  Anyone like southern gospel music like songs by the Gaithers??  How about Faith Hill's new Christmas song about Mary and Joseph as parents of Jesus?  I can't remember the name but have heard it on the RADIO a couple of times, (that is a big box with knobs that you turn on and off and change stations with and sound comes out speakers)!!
Wandaw

:)

yeah my parents listened to some of those .. sometimes they'd get out the old vynals .. and such

and some of those were on CBC .. yeah i remember the names vaguely.

Offline Heartbroken

• Old Timer
« Reply #80 on: December 22, 2008, 06:49:11 PM »
hey do u know whats really sad im 16 and i know who your talking about the music, my mum loves Elvis so i grew up listenoign tot him, Billy Joel (my fav ever singer), elton john, Michael Bolton, phil collins, Garth Brooks (whose music really makes me emotional) not sure why, hav you every heard of Elvis Costello. hes old like my parents.

things hav been gr8 away from everyone from school, i miss my bestie whose in Queensland at the moment.

jen wats ur fav Wolfmother song? i don't hav one but i love all their music, hav you heard of Gryoscope, there song Snakeskin ir really nice and their song Australia is really good.

Shelly xx
And now I'm glad I didn't know, The way it all would end the way it would go, Our lives are better left to chance, I could have missed the pain, but I'd had to miss the dance, And I wouldn't miss this for the world

Garth Brooks - The Dance-

wandaw

« Reply #81 on: December 22, 2008, 08:16:39 PM »
You "children"!!  I still have some of the old vinyls and even one of my old 8 track tapes, lots of cassettes and several CDs.  I like almost all kinds of music and play the piano and organ poorly and have my own microphone on a stand by piano where I can pretend that I'm a famous singer!!  I'm sure you can't imagine old women doing that at my age.  Elvis was/is my all time favorite singer/performer.  I saw him in person several times before he died at the young age of 42.  I saw him first when I was 13 at a gospel music concert in Memphis, later on my honeymoon in 1972 at Las Vegas, also in Little Rock and Oklahoma City.  A huge fan I am.  Yes, I do like Elvis Costello.  Is it just my age or do most of the young male singers these days sing tenor or some higher range than the oldies from "my day"?!?

Shelly, I don't think it is sad that you have heard of some of the old timers I mentioned.  It shows your mother has good taste and is passing it on to you!!  I have done the same to my nieces and my great nieces who are your age.  They try to keep me up to date on some of today's music but I must confess I haven't heard of the ones you mentioned.  I will have to check with them about Wolfmother and Gryoscope.  I am glad you are enjoying your break from school.  I'm sure you miss your friend Bestie who is in Queensland.  Is that in Australia also?  What is the time difference from there to mid U.S., central time zone?  California is 3 hours earlier than where I am in Arkansas.  I would guess Australia is another 6 hours earlier at least so it would be early Monday afternoon when it is now 8:15 pm here?!?  Enjoy your holiday.
Wandaw

Offline Chris T

• Old Timer
« Reply #82 on: December 22, 2008, 09:37:24 PM »
Well my friend Wandaw -

I think you are 12-13 hours away from Shelly as the crow flies at 600 mph :-)

Shelly - I really like Elvis Costello - he is a real wordsmith bard like Bob Zimmy Dylan...my favorite EC song would be "Man Out of Time" ...as Elton John - my favorite all time album would be "Madman Across the Water" - "Indian Sunset" is an amazing song about Geronimo and the fall of the Native American civilization...Tiny Dancer is my daughter's nickname and one of the most beautifully orchestrated arrangements - the whole album is near perfectly produced.

Have you heard of Flyleaf ? Powerful stuff from Texas

Good to hear from you always,

Merry Christmas,

Chris

Offline clubredletterguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #83 on: December 23, 2008, 03:23:15 PM »
Flyleaf used to be a local band called "Passerby". We've known them for a long time and had them play in our club a couple times. the bass player used to be in another local called "The Grove". The Grove actually stayed at my house for a night after a gig at the club. Really cool, down-to-earth folks. Really quite humble as rock stars go. Lacy (Flyleaf lead singer) is very Christ centered and has been trying hard to keep the "music business" out of the style of the band. Tuff to do. Yeah, powerful stuff from Texas.
to be His Throne in this kingdom called me, that is my heart, Lord i choose Thee

Offline Chris T

• Old Timer
« Reply #84 on: December 23, 2008, 03:53:03 PM »
Hey there Club,

That is so cool  ;D

Do you know if they are planning another record or tour through the San Francisco Bay Area anytime soon?

I discovered Flyleaf quite unexpectedly when I picked up Rolling Stone on a business trip - there was this tiny article about their music and how they practice their faith.

I was going through a lot of self condemnation and putting on a religious smiley face mask at the time and their music was so powerful and had traces of grace and mercy in it. They have this honest, raw metal sound that speaks of charity and God's true love for His people moreso than any of the contemporary Christian music out there (I am still mourning the loss of Larry Norman).

Merry Christmas to you,

Chris

Offline clubredletterguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #85 on: December 23, 2008, 04:09:41 PM »
dunno Chris, once they moved from, "local" to "national/global" kinda lost that "homey" connection. kinda bums me, but i realize how and why it happens. Glad you found them tho...i think they are great....the tiny chick can really belt it out!!

chekt out their web and dint see any indication that they are touring anymore this year. ill muddle around and see who does their booking......
to be His Throne in this kingdom called me, that is my heart, Lord i choose Thee

Offline Chris T

• Old Timer
« Reply #86 on: December 23, 2008, 04:56:13 PM »
Thanks  :)

Hey Club, any big plans for the holidays?

Shelley - how about yourself?

No plane trips on my end - just over the hill to Grandma's condo we go on the 25th

Best to all of you,

chris

Lenthowel

« Reply #87 on: December 23, 2008, 09:07:59 PM »
You "children"!!  I still have some of the old vinyls and even one of my old 8 track tapes, lots of cassettes and several CDs.  I like almost all kinds of music and play the piano and organ poorly and have my own microphone on a stand by piano where I can pretend that I'm a famous singer!!  I'm sure you can't imagine old women doing that at my age.  Elvis was/is my all time favorite singer/performer.  I saw him in person several times before he died at the young age of 42.  I saw him first when I was 13 at a gospel music concert in Memphis, later on my honeymoon in 1972 at Las Vegas, also in Little Rock and Oklahoma City.  A huge fan I am.  Yes, I do like Elvis Costello.  Is it just my age or do most of the young male singers these days sing tenor or some higher range than the oldies from "my day"?!?

Shelly, I don't think it is sad that you have heard of some of the old timers I mentioned.  It shows your mother has good taste and is passing it on to you!!  I have done the same to my nieces and my great nieces who are your age.  They try to keep me up to date on some of today's music but I must confess I haven't heard of the ones you mentioned.  I will have to check with them about Wolfmother and Gryoscope.  I am glad you are enjoying your break from school.  I'm sure you miss your friend Bestie who is in Queensland.  Is that in Australia also?  What is the time difference from there to mid U.S., central time zone?  California is 3 hours earlier than where I am in Arkansas.  I would guess Australia is another 6 hours earlier at least so it would be early Monday afternoon when it is now 8:15 pm here?!?  Enjoy your holiday.
Wandaw

Tee hee just teasing :D

Merry Christmas wandaw

Offline clubredletterguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #88 on: December 23, 2008, 10:10:20 PM »
no plans Chris....my daughter is going out of town with her aunt and mom......it'll be me n my shadow dati-dati-da-da-ti-dati (the dog)....

Shelly?

Micheal?

Offline Heartbroken

• Old Timer
« Reply #89 on: December 23, 2008, 10:28:57 PM »
hey

me i don't have any plans cept the relleys r coming to ours for lunch tomorrow yay, im so not excited seeing as i just finished cleaning the oven ohh what fun that was, no really i got cleaner bruns on my arms.

its about 5 to 3 here in Adelaide at the moments so yea on the 24th weds of december

merry xmas one and all

Shelly xx
And now I'm glad I didn't know, The way it all would end the way it would go, Our lives are better left to chance, I could have missed the pain, but I'd had to miss the dance, And I wouldn't miss this for the world

Garth Brooks - The Dance-